Dundee Science Centre first opened its doors in July 2000, as a visitor attraction for young families and based on the science of the five senses. Over the past 18 years, the exhibition and programme content has expanded significantly to now include a variety of topics and skills within science and technology. The centre’s educational remit has grown and Dundee Science Centre has become well established as a science education resource for schools and Further/Higher Education. In parallel to this, our community outreach programme, festivals and community-led projects have significantly evolved over the years, and Dundee Science Centre is now well recognised in the sector as a leader in widening access to science for ‘hard to reach’ audiences.
Our role in society is to:
- provide an exciting science-based visitor experience
- be a key resource to encourage and support lifelong learning
- bring scientific excellence and local research into the public knowledge
- promote science as part of the cultural mix of the local region
We currently engage over 80,000 people per annum – over 65,000 people through in-centre visits, over 15,000 people through outreach activity and science festivals.
- We provide exhibitions and public programmes for the local community and visiting tourists wishing to engage in leisure, cultural and social pursuits.
- We support Curriculum for Excellence - providing learning opportunities for 10,000 children and young people each year and providing professional learning support for teaching practitioners.
- We provide communication training for scientists and facilitate public engagement with scientific research and careers, by working closely with academia, research institutes and industry.
- We provide widening access initiatives for underserved audiences, including tailored and subsidised programmes for those who are socially-economically deprived, unemployed or have additional support needs.
- We support local businesses and partners (within and beyond the science sector) by hosting their meetings, events and team building activities.
2018 was a landmark year in Dundee Science Centre’s journey, as 2018 saw the opening of our new Medical Marvels exhibition and Science Learning Suite, which were several years in the making. The new exhibition, seminar room, classroom and offices were built through a £2.1 million capital investment programme which has doubled the first floor footprint of the science centre as part of a mezzanine extension.
Our 2019-2022 strategy focuses on driving forward our ambitious plans to be a five star visitor attraction, accessible community hub and lifelong learning resource for Tayside & Fife. While we will continue to expand our outreach work and learning programmes, there will be a focus on reimagining and upgrading the ground-floor facilities and integrating widening access into everything we do. Central to this will be delivery of our £2 million CONNECT project over the next two years.
Once CONNECT is complete in March 2021, we will have upgraded almost the entire science centre within the space of three years. The recent opening of V&A Dundee and increased tourists to the city also presents a hugely exciting opportunity for our future growth. We will capitalise on these opportunities by raising our profile within the many sectors in which we work and ensuring Dundee Science Centre is positioned as an integral part of Dundee’s exciting Waterfront transformation and city regeneration.
Further information on CONNECT can be found by CLICKING HERE
Due to the impending retirement of the existing Chair, and to further enable the centre to achieve these goals, we are looking to appoint a Non-executive Chair to the board. For this, Dundee Science Centre is looking for someone with a strong affinity to STEM subjects, who has previous Chair level experience and who is in a position to utilise their networks, marketing skills and leadership to guide the future direction of the Centre.
The post holder will be required to attend 12 key meetings per year and will also be encouraged to offer mentorship to the CEO and other board members, offering an excellent opportunity to utilise their skills.
This will be a pivotal role in shaping a bespoke learning experience within a diverse, growing and vibrant city which has benefited from a major investment over the last few years.
The Chair’s primary role is to ensure the Board of Dundee Science Centre (DSC) is effective in setting and implementing the organisation’s direction and strategy by:
- leading the Board in agreeing and monitoring implementation of the strategy and business plans
- leading the Board in ensuring that it fulfils its responsibilities for the governance of the organisation
- providing strategic support to the Chief Executive in the development and pursuit of DSC’s objectives and its wider aspiration of becoming a 5 star visitor attraction, widely accessible community hub and lifelong learning resource
- maintaining an independent position and balance between the interests on the Board
- seeking views and facilitating consensus from Board members in the development of DSC’s policies.
Further information can be found by viewing the following:
For a confidential discussion please contact Donogh O’Brien or Steven Murray on 0141 212 7555.
How to Apply
Please provide the following:
- An up to date CV
- A supporting statement - indicating how you meet the criteria and competencies for the role. Please also provide the following detail:
- Details of two referees – these will not be contacted without your permission.
To submit your application please CLICK HERE
Applicants will be shortlisted for interview by matching the details given on their application against the Job Description and Person Specification. We would therefore ask applicants to provide clear evidence to show how your experience, skills and knowledge match those requirements.
Please note that you will receive an automatic acknowledgement of your application - if you do not receive this please contact Katy Gall on 0141 212 7555.
Closing date for applications: Monday 18th March 2019
Interviews: To be confirmed