- Non remunerated
Blackwood is a long established not-for-profit organisation providing affordable, accessible homes and care and support services across Scotland. They are an innovative organisation that focuses on supporting people with disabilities and age related conditions to help them live their lives to the full.
We are delighted to be working with Blackwood to help them recruit a new Board Member and are focused on finding people who can bring experience of senior operational experience within care at home services.
The Board of Blackwood operates at a strategic level and delegates responsibility for the day to day management and running of the organisation to staff, through the Chief Executive. The Board, working closely with the Chief Executive and Senior Team will:
• Lead Blackwood
• Promote and uphold our values culture
• Set our strategy & direction
• Agree the annual budget and business plan and ensure financial viability
• Take account of customers views in respect of rents and charges, services and care provision
• Take responsibility for ensuring Blackwood is a good employer that engages with its employees
• Monitor performance
• Monitor and manage strategic risk
• Ensure legal, constitutional and regulatory compliance
• Promote and demonstrate good governance
Being a Board member is a voluntary role which carries legal responsibilities that are the same as those of a company director. All Board members are expected to use their skills, knowledge and experience for the benefit of Blackwood. Members will offer life experience and/or professional expertise. Every Board member shares the same level of responsibility regardless of their background. These responsibilities are set out below.
• Understand and be committed to the Vision, Values and Strategic Business Plan of Blackwood
• Attend and be well prepared for meetings
• Contribute effectively to discussions and decision making
• Maintain a good level of awareness of current issues relevant to Blackwood through use of Blackwood’s website & Boardzone and through relevant reading
• Take part in training and other learning and development opportunities
• Participate in an annual appraisal of their individual contribution to our governance
• Represent Blackwood positively and effectively
• Respect and maintain confidentiality of information
• Treat colleagues with respect and foster effective working relationships within the Board and between the Board and staff
• Be aware of and comply with the Entitlements Payments & Benefits Policy and declare any relevant conflict of interests as soon as they arise
The majority of Board and Committee Meetings are held on a Tuesday evening in Edinburgh. Members are asked to attend the following meetings each year:
• 6 Board meetings and Annual General Meeting
• Participation in at least one established Committee (which meet Quarterly)
• Attendance at other Working Groups/Committees
• Attendance at Annual Strategy Day
• Induction and training time – this will be dependent on Board members current experience and availability but could be estimated at 2 days over a 6 month period
For a confidential discussion please call Nigel Fortnum on 0141 212 7555 or for more information please visit www.aspenpeople.co.uk/blackwood.
To submit your application please complete the short form below and submit your application form and equal opportunities form – you will receive an acknowledgement within 48 hours.
If you do not receive an acknowledgement of your application via email then please contact Katy Gall on 0141 212 7555 to check that it has been received.