Head of Biology
The Scottish Salmon Company Plc is Scotland’s leading producer of the finest sea loch fresh Scottish salmon. Head-quartered in Edinburgh, SSC employs 480 people across 60 sites in remote and rural areas on the west coast of Scotland and Hebrides. It is the only salmon farming company in Scotland whose strategic corporate decisions are made in Scotland.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Fish Biologist to join the business at an exciting time in the growth cycle of The Scottish Salmon Company PLC (SSC). Reporting to the CEO and leading a dedicated team of six, you will be an advocate for the health and welfare of the salmon and cleaner fish stock, providing expertise to the business in all aspects of aquaculture, from understanding and managing the growth in both freshwater and marine hatcheries and farms to supporting the communication process with local and industry stakeholders.
There will be a focus on the continued development of people, systems, policies and processes to achieve 'best in class' and compatibility with the wider objectives of the Company.
Through a respectful, constructive and energetic leadership style the Head of Biology will provide the vision necessary to ensure that the Company has the proper biological controls and procedures in place to effectively continue the growth of the organisation and drive efficiency. You will engage with key stakeholders across the company, supporting the growth and development of SSC’s plans.
- Biology degree or a minimum of 5 years’ experience working as a health manager on production sites, leading a small team of more junior staff.
- Budget management experience with a proactive approach to cost saving.
- Confident and approachable, able to communicate at all levels of the business from the cage to the board room.
- A coach who is proactive and encourages others to succeed.
- Provides team with a clear sense of direction, inspires and co-ordinates others and keeps them focused on objectives.
- Demonstrates specialist knowledge and expertise in own area; participates in continuous professional development.
- Routinely challenges current practices to identify and deliver value improvements and solutions.
- Able to operate under adverse conditions with little or no warning and be able to adjust to shifting priorities whilst still achieving deadlines.
- Identifies and adopts industry best practice.
For more information and a confidential discussion please contact Jules Pearson on 0141 212 7555.
To apply please complete the form below and upload your CV and supporting letter. If you do not receive an automatic acknowledgement please contact Melissa Scholes on 0141 212 7559.
How to Apply
Please fill out and submit the form. If you have any queries or difficulties please call +44 (0)141 212 7555.
Fields marked with a * (asterisk) are required.