- Up to £121,000
- South of Scotland
Location TBC – South of Scotland
“A unique opportunity to make an impact across a Rural economy”
The Scottish Government is committed to supporting the inclusive growth and economic success of the South of Scotland. Recognising the unique circumstances of the South, they are establishing a new enterprise agency for the area bringing a fresh and tailored approach to economic development. As the first Chief Executive of the new agency, this is an exciting, once in a generation opportunity, to shape the future of the South.
The ambitions for South of Scotland Enterprise are clear. The agency will drive transformational inclusive growth, increase competitiveness and tackle inequality. The agency will support a diverse and resilient economy, sustain and support communities and harness the people and resources of the South. While the challenges of the South are well known, there are also significant opportunities to be pursued. Set in the context of Scotland’s Economic Strategy, this ambition is for a South of Scotland which has:
- communities better equipped to play a greater role in the economic, social and environmental success of their area;
- a skilled workforce with both the skills needed now, and the ability to develop the skills needed for the future;
- businesses with increased productivity, ambitious for the future, investing in innovation and offering good conditions of employment paying higher wages;
- more opportunities for young people so that they can see a future in the area, and to attract people who want to locate in the area;
- a clear commitment to inclusive growth, taking a holistic look at the barriers that are getting in the way and taking action to address them.
As Chief Executive you will need to develop strong relationships across the public and private sector to align efforts behind a clear strategy and act as an ambassador for the organisation, building positive relationships of influence amongst the business community, politicians and wider stakeholder groups. Active and dynamic leadership of the organisation will be vital, developing a culture of success. Responsible for developing a senior management team, the Chief Executive will build the culture, capability and capacity of the organisation from its establishment on 1 April 2020.
The successful candidate will have prior experience of developing or interfacing with strategies for economic development either as a business or public sector leader. He / she will have proven effectiveness in leading an organisation, including developing and implementing corporate strategy, and experience of developing and maintaining effective public/private partnerships. In depth knowledge of and/or experience within at least one of South of Scotland’s key economic sectors will also be vital.
To find out more about the opportunity and the organisation please visit www.aspenpeople.co.uk/SOSE
If you have any queries or would like to discuss the role confidentially, please contact Donogh O’Brien or Catriona Mackie on 0141 212 7555.
To apply, please complete the short form below and upload your CV and supporting statement. If you do not receive an acknowledgement within 24 hours of submitting your application, please contact Kelsey Sinclair on 0141 212 7555.