- Fort William
Chair in Tourism Vacancy
Salary circa £60,000, 35 hours per week, 45 days holiday per annum, relocation allowance
Preferred Location: Fort William
The University of the Highlands and Islands wishes to recruit a leading tourism academic to the post of Chair in Tourism, to position UHI as a recognised international leader in the tourism field and provide the direction, excellence and vision to lead and drive the development of teaching, research and knowledge exchange across UHI. While we would welcome applicants from across the tourism field, we are particularly interested in developing curriculum and academic leadership in adventure and/or outdoor tourism, and applications from specialists in these fields are encouraged.
The post-holder will lead the development of new on-line tourism curricula, enhance research and teaching leadership both within the university and across the sector, and generate research income through both REF 2021 and external funding applications. The successful candidate will also be expected to undertake some teaching across undergraduate and/or postgraduate modules, as well as supervise postgraduate students as appropriate.
The post-holder will work with the School of Adventure Studies (SOAS) and the Centre for Recreation and Tourism Research (CRTR), both based at West Highland College UHI. SOAS is the UK’s premier adventure tourism educator, with over 150 students studying on seven different full-time courses offered from SCQF Level 5 to 11. The School also offers a range of part-time courses for continuous professional development. CRTR has been UHI’s tourism research hub since its inception six years ago. Through research, consultancy, knowledge exchange and its leadership and participation in transnational tourism projects, the Centre has developed a strong reputation internationally. It also initiated the annual International Adventure Conference and has an extensive network of tourism collaborators and contacts worldwide.
Although the post-holder will work closely with CRTR and SOAS, with a UHI-wide remit for tourism a central role will be to develop relationships in appropriate centres across the academic partnership.
The post-holder will:
- Lead the development of new postgraduate and undergraduate online curricula, in collaboration with subject networks, with the creation of a new online Masters in adventure tourism expected to form the focus.
- Have developed a personal research portfolio for submission to the REF 2021 exercise (UK-based applicants) or have a demonstrable record of recent, peer-reviewed high-impact publications.
- Generate significant research grant income.
- Provide research leadership and increase the capacity for research collaborations, with both academic and industry partners.
- Drive UHI’s engagement with the tourism industry and help to inform policy-making.
- Provide expertise and leadership in core areas of tourism for undergraduate and postgraduate programmes as well as supervision of postgraduate students.
- Enhance the international standing of UHI in the tourism sector, nationally and internationally.
- Chair UHI’s tourism knowledge exchange group, with a phased takeover of duties from the incumbent.
Applicants will need to demonstrate excellent organisational and communication skills, confidence in the analysis, interpretation and presentation of findings, data and information, and experience of working independently and proactively on a range of initiatives and projects. They will have a strong, evidenced track record in teaching, research and income generation.
The post must be self-funding after three years, principally through new teaching income at undergraduate and postgraduate level, but also through research council grants, consultancy and knowledge exchange projects and a strong REF 2021 return.
Closing date for applications: Tuesday 31st March 2020
For a confidential discussion please contact Donogh O'Brien or Lesley Drew at Aspen People on 0141 212 7555.
To apply, please upload your CV and cover letter, indicating how you meet the criteria for the role.
How to Apply
For more information on this role please click the "Further Info" button above.