Past and present Trustees of the much-loved Ayrshire Hospice will confirm how exciting, humbling and rewarding the role is. For a modest commitment of your time, the Hospice blends your skills and experience with those of your fellow trustees and those of our executive leadership team to make decisions that ensure this much needed resource is available to our patients and their families whenever and wherever they need it. Now in our 4th decade and about to embark on a transformational upgrade of our core facilities, there’s never been a more exciting time to be an Ayrshire Hospice trustee. Join us and be part of our unique journey!
Chair of The Ayrshire Hospice Board
About Ayrshire Hospice
The Ayrshire Hospice provides specialist palliative care and services to people affected by life-limiting illness across Ayrshire. Care is provided where there is no cure for the condition, but which improves the quality of each day for people who have a limited time to live. We help people to live as actively as they can to the end of their lives - however long that may be, wherever that may be. Care is provided by hospice staff in a number of places including people’s own homes, hospitals and care homes as well as in the hospice’s purpose-built day care centre and in-patient unit.
The hospice not only takes care of people’s physical needs but look after their emotional, spiritual and social needs too. Family members, close friends and carers are also supported both during a person’s illness and in bereavement.
We are passionate about working closely with those we serve, our communities and our partner organisations and aim to reach all those who might benefit from our high quality, person-centred care. This passion is reflected in our vision, purpose, values and commitments. These have been developed by listening to our patients, families, partners, supporters and our employed and voluntary staff who have told us what matters most to them.
Strategic Plan 2021-2031
In March 2021 the Board commenced on an ambitious ten year plan for our Hospice with clear intent to widen our reach and impact on the lives of those in Ayrshire living with a life limiting illness. We aim to deliver services that reflect the needs of our community and which operate in partnership with those communities to maximise the reach our services can offer. Most importantly we seek to offer our patients and families exceptional care throughout their journey, by working in collaboration with families, communities and other health and social care providers.
Putting our Patients First
In putting people at the heart of everything we do, we will work together to:
- support every person as a unique and valued individual
- respect the dignity of everyone
- listen to and respect the wishes of people
- provide a safe, comfortable, caring environment
Developing our People
In striving to be exceptional in every aspect of our services, we will:
- develop and provide high quality services that are underpinned by training, audit and research
- deliver effective leadership and management throughout the organisation
- ensure we have the right people with the right skills in the right place at the right time
Building our Future
In building relationships, we will:
- listen to, respect and value the contribution of others
- work together to improve all of our services
- extend our collaboration with external partners
In working in partnership with our colleagues across Ayrshire we will:
- clearly identify the benefits and outcomes of our services to our patients and families
- maximise the funds we receive by delivering effective and efficient services
- demonstrate clinical, financial and organisational excellence
What we do - Making today matter
For some people facing the end of life it’s the small things than can make the biggest difference like having a special family meal or seeing a beloved pet. Others may have big goals that they would like to achieve like travelling to a meaningful destination or marrying the love of their life. Whatever means the most to someone the wonderful team of hospice employed and voluntary staff will pull out all the stops to try to make it happen. That’s because the hospice is here to help people live well until they die.
Non-remunerated, expenses paid
We are now seeking Trustees to join our Board, to contribute knowledge, skills and fresh thinking to drive the organisation through the next stages of growth and development. We are looking to speak with potential Trustees from a variety of backgrounds, with equality and diversity of thought being absolutely important. All skill sets and backgrounds will be considered - if you are an innovative and forward-thinking individual who shares our core values, we would like to hear from you.
We are seeking individuals that:
- Are proven leaders with experience navigating change and transformation
- Have a strong understanding of governance and compliance structures
- Can demonstrable passion for and belief in the work that we do
- Possesses strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Have a proven ability to build and maintain strong and productive relationships
- Are committed to equality, diversity and inclusivity at all levels
The Board is responsible for the strategic direction, accountability of the organisation, as well as risk management, quality and performance monitoring. Trustees are expected to challenge and contribute to the development of the organisation and ensure financial controls and governance systems are robust, transparent and compliant with regulation.
How to Apply
To apply, please CLICK HERE to upload your CV and supporting letter. We would be grateful if you could include the following information in your application:
- Details of two referees (please note that referees will not be contacted until offer stage or without prior consent)
Applicants will be shortlisted for interview based on their application matching the detail provided in the Job Description / Person Specification. We would therefore ask applicants to provide clear evidence to show how your experience, skills and knowledge match those requirements as well as why you are interested in the role.
Should you have any queries, or if you would like to have an informal discussion about the role, please contact Debbie Shields at our recruitment partners, Aspen People, on 0141 212 7555.
Provided below are a note of the critical dates in the recruitment which will help you plan your diary:
|Monday 25th October 2021
|Monday 15th November 2021