Head of HR
8C £73,506 – £79,221 per annum
Flexible Location: Based throughout Scotland, NES is a remote friendly employer supporting office, remote and hybrid working. We’re happy to talk about how you want to work.
The role of the Workforce Directorate is wide-ranging and exciting. We not only enable NES to attract, recruit, support, train, develop, reward and recognise its own workforce, but also play a significant role in employing doctors and dentists in training across Scotland. Furthermore, we support recruitment of medical and dental trainees and other vocational groups for the whole of Scotland’s health sector. We support the management of change, providing organisational consultancy. We also play an active part in the organisation’s commitment to fulfilling its Equality and Diversity responsibilities, not just to its own staff but throughout all the activities of the organisation.
Nationally the Workforce Directorate acts as key strategic partner to Scottish Government in the delivery of national Talent, Leadership and Management, Learning & Development ambitions. We also provide information, advice, educational solutions and support to the wider NHS through links with Territorial Boards and the Scottish Government.
As a senior member of the Workforce Directorate within NHS Education for Scotland (NES), the Head of HR is responsible for managing, coaching, and providing operational leadership to the HR function within NES to provide the organisation with a modern, proactive HR service.
The HR function includes provides a full service to the business in terms of employees but also supports the recruitment and employment experience of doctors and dentists in training either as direct employer or through its support of other parts of the health sector in providing Lead Employer services.
The responsibilities of the Head of HR include:
- Providing senior professional HR and employment law expertise and leadership to the HR function to provide excellent fit for purpose HR services across the organisation.
- Strategic HR business partnering and supporting the design and implementation of organisational change, in partnership.
- Implementing Once for Scotland HR policies and Scottish Government directives on employment related issues through partnership working and collaboration across the organisation (e.g. with OD colleagues) to develop understanding and competence across NES.
- Working in partnership on case work, job evaluation, organisational change, implementation and development of policy and processes.
- Providing senior leadership to the delivery of robust HR services, including escalation of complex case work, assessment of risk, continuous improvement and coaching across the team.
- Designing and delivering HR processes that, at a minimum, fulfil staff governance requirements.
- Designing and delivering HR services that are informed by workforce data analytics.
- Mitigating employment risk to the organisation through the interpretation of relevant legislation and robust application of policy and processes across the HR function.
- Responsibility for the NES provision of the UK wide shared services in relation to the assessment, recruitment, and pre-employment processing for application to trainee posts in medicine and dentistry; and on a Scotland wide basis for application to training posts in Pharmacy, and Healthcare Science. Inclusive of managing all Disclosure Scotland checks and acting as Tier 2 Visa sponsor for all Doctors and Dentists in Training
- Providing HR services that support national programme management to the delivery of Lead Employer arrangements geared to achieving an efficient, high quality employment experience for doctors and dentists in training across Scotland.
- Delivering HR services that support all employment aspects relating to those doctors and dentists directly employed by NES.