Head of People & Organisational Development
£49,696 plus other benefits
Edinburgh / Flexible Working
Capability Scotland is looking to hire a dynamic individual to lead, manage and develop Capability Scotland’s Human Resources and Learning & Development functions.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Policy Development will monitor, evaluate, and create the appropriate organisational policies to meet the current and future requirements. Where required will present policies and associated papers to the Executive Team or other groups detailing options, implications and making recommendations. Develop the People Strategy for Capability Scotland, including an action plan of key themes and work strands for implementation. Lead role in ensuring Capability Scotland achieves external accreditation in HR policy and practice (e.g. Investors in People, and Great Places to Work).
- Framework Development will set in place, or recommend, appropriate organisational frameworks to ensure good governance arrangements with regards to negotiating frameworks, pensions governance, consultative committees, or other similar matters to meet or exceed legal obligations and the organisational requirements.
- Conduct Organisational Risk Assessments will periodically conduct organisational risk assessments to identify risks and opportunities and will implement appropriate control measures or other actions to ensure the organisation has appropriate arrangements in place to address the risks.
- Lead Change Programmes will lead organisational change programmes and seek to engage diverse groups of staff and other bodies to embrace the change programmes. Will lead, or participate in, senior management improvement initiatives at service, directorate, or organisational level.
- Collective Matters will have a lead role in all collective matters and will determine the organisation’s priorities and develop appropriate strategies and approaches to meet these. In conjunction with the Director of Finance & Resources, will lead pay negotiations on behalf of the organisation.
- Management will be the primary adviser to the Chief Executive on all HR matters relating to the Executive Team. Will line manage the HR service to ensure they are supported in delivering the organisation’s requirements. Is authorised to conduct disciplinary, and other, hearings and issue sanctions up to and including dismissal. As a lead signatory for Disclosure Scotland / CRBS will authorise the appointment of counter-signatories and of those with an unclear Disclosure Scotland Certificate.
- Financial Management will support managers in the preparation of their annual budgets within their functions. Will monitor and review staffing establishments to ensure this is within budget, or otherwise appropriate, and in accordance with the organisational priorities.
- Pension and Death in Service Provision will ensure appropriate arrangements are in place regarding the Pension and Death in Service schemes that the organisation operates; will oversee claims to the scheme and will act as a trustee. Will be a trustee to the defined benefit pension scheme and set strategies to ensure the pension provision is protected for the benefit of the members.
To be considered for this position you must have the following knowledge, skills, and experience:
- Full member of Professional Body e.g. CIPD
- Proven track record of operating at a senior level within a complex business / organisation
- Thorough knowledge of employment law and pensions
- Problem solving and analytical skills
- Significant strategic planning and project management experience
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Effective team working to achieve objectives
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to engage, negotiate with and influence senior stakeholders