Airdrie / Glasgow
To govern the organisation, we are putting together a new Board, led by the Hon. Lady Rae. We are looking for Board Members from a broad range of backgrounds, but with a common theme as above – to ensure safeguarding and to rebuild trust and confidence in the ways in which children and vulnerable adults are kept safe in all Church premises and activities, and with all Church personnel. We are keen to hear from candidates with a range of backgrounds and skills sets.
The main functions of the SCSSA Board will be:
- to lead the development of the culture, values and strategic direction of SCSSA in order to provide effective scrutiny of the Church’s safeguarding provision
- to ensure the provision of sound advice to the Bishops’ Conference of Scotland on the implementation of its national safeguarding policy (‘In God’s Image’)
- to ensure the provision of sound advice and recommendations to dioceses, religious institutes and organisations on their safeguarding practice
- to monitor SCSSA’s operations, ensuring prudent management, sound planning and compliance with statutory and regulatory obligations
- to provide effective controls on SCSSA business strategy and financial management
- to act in accordance with the SCSSA Articles of Association.
While we do not require candidates to come from any particular faith background or practice, we are looking for individuals who have a commitment to improving safeguarding in the Church for the future.
Board Directors are asked to commit the equivalent of 8-10 working days per year to the work of the Board. While the Board will meet in formal session four times per year, there will be additional opportunities to participate in other pieces of strategic work, via committees and working groups, depending on the skills, interests and availability of individual Board Directors.
TERMS OF OFFICE
Board Directors will be asked to serve a term of 3 years, with a maximum of one additional term being possible, if mutually agreed with the Board Chair.
Please note all appointments will be subject to a PVG check.