About the University of Edinburgh
At the University of Edinburgh, we’ve been influencing the world for more than 400 years. Each year we take on tomorrow’s greatest challenges. Each year is different – every person, teacher, project, and every thought more exciting than the last.
Whatever excites you, whatever your ambition, whatever makes you ‘you’, we know one thing: nothing ordinary comes from this extraordinary place. At Edinburgh, you’ll be in good company, doing good things, for the good of the environment and the world. Driven by this passion, we’ve affected and empowered every one of our community. We believe this is possible because of a unique mix of three factors:
- Place: The city of Edinburgh is famous for changing the way the world is understood. Its history and reputation rub off on us, every day. It inspires and lifts our expectations of what is possible.
- People: Our staff, students, leaders and partners are talented, courageous, engaging and brilliant – and down-to-earth. They value wisdom, laughter, character – and each other.
- Practice: We’re an encouraging space to explore, but at the same time, our research, teaching, and even our daily processes, are ambitious. We, and our global business partners, inspire you to aim high, push frontiers, deliver economic impact, drive sustainability. We’re bold and our results change the world.
Where our place, people and practice meet, this is The University of Edinburgh.
As a world-leading research-intensive University, we are here to address tomorrow’s greatest challenges. Between now and 2030 we will do that with a values-led approach to teaching, research and innovation, and through the strength of our relationships, both locally and globally. Edinburgh is a truly global university and we have always had a commitment to diversity and a community in which students feel valued and welcome.
The University has more than 46,000 students matriculated during the 2022/23 academic year. Students from all over the world choose to study at Edinburgh, attracted to the quality of our education and research portfolio, but also our city, our community and our international culture. With 21 schools across the three colleges, the University has a diverse and attractive portfolio of highly ranked courses on offer.
The University of Edinburgh Strategy 2030 is rooted in our values, and led by a distinctive, honest and realistic set of guiding principles to deliver excellence in 2030.
We strive to:
- be a place of transformation and of self-improvement, driven to achieve benefit for individuals, communities, societies and our world;
- be diverse, inclusive and accessible to all;
- be ambitious, bold and act with integrity, always being willing to listen;
- have a strong sense of community, fostering a sustainable environment in which staff, students, alumni and friends are proud to be part of our University;
- attract the world’s best minds to come to study and work with us, while building innovative global partnerships for research, teaching and impact;
- celebrate and strengthen our deep-rooted and distinctive internationalism;
- sustain a deep allegiance and commitment to the interests of the city and region in which we are based, alongside our national and international efforts.
Creating new opportunities for partners, friends, neighbours, and supporters to co-create, engage with the world, and amplify our impacts is at the forefront of our thinking and activity.