Chief Executive Officer
Falkirk or Glasgow
As CEO of Scottish Canals, you will lead the organisation within Scotland’s NDPB space; shaping strategy and vision to deliver public value in tourism, placemaking, responding to the climate emergency, tackling health inequalities, and supporting active travel. As Accountable Officer, the CEO reports to the Board and Scottish Ministers and is ultimately responsible to the Scottish Parliament.
This is an exciting time to be joining Scottish Canals as the next five-year corporate strategy takes shape. They are determined to reimagine the canals for the future; providing navigation, innovation in managing water and new projects which support redevelopment of vacant and derelict land and potential for renewable energy generation. Ensuring employees and customers can enjoy and benefit from Scotland’s canals is upmost importance.
The successful candidate:
We’re looking for a bold and dynamic individual with a passion for Scotland’s heritage and someone who sees potential in the nation’s assets. You may come from another third sector or public sector environment with a national focus.
At the core, you’ll be able to demonstrate:
- Extensive and insightful strategic thinking and exceptional leadership skills.
- Ability to lead change in your organisation, shaping delivery to generate impact and enhance organisational sustainability.
- Excellence in financial management, governance, compliance, and balancing organisational risk and reward.
- You’ll understand partnerships and be an excellent stakeholder manager, working alongside senior leaders to influence and negotiate on behalf of Scottish Canals’ future vision.
- You’ll be educated to degree level and be able to balance a perspective of working in an NDPB and government environment with exposure to a commercial setting.
This is a Scotland-wide role that is offered on a full time and permanent basis and attracts a salary of circa £105k per annum. Although the role will be based in the Central Belt, with blended working, the successful candidate will have regular travel across Scotland therefore a valid UK driving licence is required.
More information can be found within the Job Description below.