Head of HR
Head of HR
£73,506 – £79,221 per annum
Flexible Location: Based throughout Scotland, NES is a remote friendly employer supporting office, remote and hybrid working. We’re happy to talk about how you want to work.
NHS Education for Scotland is a national health board responsible for providing, co-ordinating, developing and advising on the education and lifelong learning of staff across the health and care sector in Scotland. Its aim is to ensure the right people, with the right skills, at the right time. It designs and supports the delivery of career of paths across a wide variety of disciplines, leads on leadership development and supports staff gain key transferable skills such as digital. The mission of NES is to contribute to the highest quality of health & social care throughout Scotland, ensuring the 350,000 people working in health and social care roles are well trained and are continually developed through each stage of their career.
The role of the Workforce Directorate is wide-ranging and exciting. We not only enable NES to attract, recruit, support, train, develop, reward and recognise its own workforce, but also play a significant role in employing doctors and dentists in training across Scotland. Furthermore, we support recruitment of medical and dental trainees and other vocational groups for the whole of Scotland’s health sector. We support the management of change, providing organisational consultancy. We also play an active part in the organisation’s commitment to fulfilling its Equality and Diversity responsibilities, not just to its own staff but throughout all the activities of the organisation.
As a senior member of the Workforce Directorate within NES, the Head of HR is responsible for managing, coaching and providing operational leadership to the HR function within NES to provide the organisation with a modern, proactive HR service.
If you were in this role today, here are some of the things you would be doing:
- Providing senior professional HR and employment law expertise and leadership to the HR function to provide excellent fit for purpose HR services across the organisation.
- Strategic HR business partnering and supporting the design and implementation of organisational change, in partnership.
- Implementing Once for Scotland HR policies and Scottish Government directives on employment related issues through partnership working and collaboration across the organisation (e.g. with OD colleagues) to develop understanding and competence across NES.
- Working in partnership on case work, job evaluation, organisational change, implementation and development of policy and processes.
- Providing senior leadership to the delivery of robust HR services, including escalation of complex case work, assessment of risk, continuous improvement and coaching across the team.
- Designing and delivering HR processes that, at a minimum, fulfil staff governance requirements.
- Designing and delivering HR services that are informed by workforce data analytics.
- Mitigating employment risk to the organisation through the interpretation of relevant legislation and robust application of policy and processes across the HR function.
What we can offer you:
- A fantastic culture – NES has an outstanding track record for staff engagement and you get to work with great colleagues
- Life-work balance – with wide-ranging opportunities for flexible working and remote working
- Generous NHS pension scheme
- Incremental progression through the salary band (up to the maximum of the band) plus annual NHS salary scale review
- Annual Leave – 27 Days increasing in line with service plus 8 days public holiday
- NHS discounts and more
Some of the knowledge, skills and experience you might have:
- You’ll have significant experience of providing a professional HR and employment law expertise at a high level
- You will have the knowledge and skills to undertake risk assessments and high-level decision making in complex employee relations cases
- You will be a great leader, values driven and performance focussed ensuring that the HR team are energised, high-performing and role model ambassadors for the organisation
- You will have demonstrable experience of designing, delivering and evaluating a range of operational/transactional HR services and processes to a large and complex organisation
- You will have HR and employment law expertise as well as substantial strategic HR business partnering experience
- You will be able to provide coaching and development to team members
- Self-organised, you will have project management skills and experience along with a focus on delivery and a strong track record in meeting timelines
- You’ll have excellent report writing with the ability to convey highly complex information to different audiences including Board level Committees
For a confidential discussion contact Donogh O’Brien or Lauren Crichton, at our recruitment partners Aspen People, on 0141 212 7555.
Further information is available at www.aspenpeople.co.uk/NESHR
Closing date for applications: Friday 24th June 2022