Professor / Reader in Food Policy
- 60,000 – 100,000 depending on experience / qualifications
This position is now closed to applications.
SRUC is a unique organisation founded on world class and sector-leading research, education and consultancy. As a Higher Education Institution, who have specialist expertise in Education and Research offering unrivalled links with industry through their Agricultural Business Consultants.
SRUC is unique in Scotland and one of the largest organisations of its kind in Europe. Their ambitious and exciting vision is to work at local, national and international levels, leading innovation and sustainable development in agriculture and rural sectors.
The vision for Research and Teaching in SRUC is to be a leading and go-to institution, nationally and internationally, for teaching and conducting applied research to enhance the rural economy and environment. In addition to normal expectations of teaching and research quality, expectations are that teaching and research be relevant to a problem area where there is a real end-user need. Programmes are tailored to emphasise, as the dominant theme, end-user pull whilst maintaining a strong spirit of innovation
Sustainable food production is at the centre of the current policy debate with consideration of climate change, animal welfare, human health and environmental management high on the policy agenda. SRUC has a long history of influencing and driving policy in the rural sector and wishes to extend this activity into innovative thinking in the area of food policy.
This appointee will join the Central Faculty to develop and lead research and knowledge exchange at a national and international level in the area of food policy and engagement, to develop new programmes in this area, and to strengthen SRUC’s contribution to shaping the debate on sustainable future food production systems.
- Develop and lead an externally funded programme of research food policy.
- Lead engagement with external partners, nationally and globally.
- Work with SAC Consulting colleagues to develop and implement new concepts and approaches – again nationally and internationally.
- Lead SRUC’s international engagement in food policy.
- Contribute to teaching and development of courses/training and establish new forum for food policy engagement.
- Develop their own research teams and support the work of other researchers.
- Supervise the work of PhD students.
- Contribute to the planning and development of facilities within the faculty.
Experience & Qualifications required
- Applicants will hold a PhD or have equivalent research experience in a relevant discipline. To be appointed at professorial level candidates should have an international profile in a relevant discipline, with sustained delivery of innovation and eminent research in the field. A track record of successful grant applications and high-quality publications is essential.
- The applicant will also have demonstrated academic leadership and will be responsible for developing strategic links across SRUC and beyond that supplement strengths and increase SRUC’s standing as a teaching and research institution.
For further information please visit https://www.aspenpeople.co.uk/sruc or for a confidential chat contact Donogh O’Brien or Lesley Drew on 0141 212 7555.
To apply please email your CV, supporting letter and equal opportunities monitoring form to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: Monday 24th February 2020.